Monday 10 October 2011

Amigurumi green tree frog (in a bird cage)


I embarked upon my first ever amigurumi (shocking word to spell!) as part of a University creative art assignment.  It was an opportunity I could not miss to merge craft with science. The crocheted frog in a birdcage is to symbolise the role frogs will play as an indicator species of climate change....they are the canaries in the mines.


I'm pretty pleased with how the bird cage came out.  I had to figure that one out myself - its made with jute twine, commonly known as hessian.  The base is made up of trebles, crocheted in a circle, and the bars are dcs supported by wire.  The peaked roof is trebles again, but with a decrease treble every 3-4 stitches. 

The green tree frog is made of Heirloom cotton 8ply yarn, and the pattern is from here, by Roman Sock.  She has some wonderful patterns on her blog.  I found the gree tree frog pattern to be very easy to follow.

More details on Ravelry here.

My daughter loved the frog - what do you think?


2 comments:

  1. This is sooo cute! I love him. Nice color too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your frog is fantastic and soooo cute!! And lol, I totally agree with the spelling of amigurumi - and I thought that sudoku was bad!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your leaving a comment. I love connecting through my blog with other crafty people and I love reading your blogs too.