Wednesday 25 April 2012

Baking Anzac biscuits

 Today being Anzac Day, I baked some Anzac biscuits. This recipe is from my mother-in-law.

Anzac Biscuit recipe

1 cup each of rolled oats, shredded coconut, sugar, and plain flour.
125g of butter
1 tablespoon of golden syrup
1 teaspoon of bi-carb soda
2-3 tablespoons of water

Melt the butter, golden syrup, bi-carb soda and 1 tablespoon of water on the stove. Put the other ingredients, excluding the water, in a large bowl. Mix butter mixture with the dry ingredients, and add the rest of the water. Add more if required to get it to stick together.  Take about a tablespoon amount of the mixture, and press into a ball, place on a greased tray, and flatten into a biscuit shape.  My mother in law uses the back of a spoon to do this, I find it easier to just use my fingers. Bake in a 180 degree oven for 15 minutes. Once out of the oven, let them sit on the tray for only a minute, then lay them onto baking paper on a cooling rack. Now if you're the sort who like your Anzacs chewy, then bake for less time. 

I'm a fan of chewy Anzacs - but ended up baking them hard.  What sort are are? Do you like them chewy or soft?

1 comment:

  1. They look delicious. Would go nicely with my afternoon cuppa. Thanks for the receipe I will endeavour to give them ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your leaving a comment. I love connecting through my blog with other crafty people and I love reading your blogs too.